Every second is essential when it comes to the time it takes a website to load completely. If a website takes longer than normal to load, users will leave it quickly. Ultimately, it affects the bounce rate, resulting in a drop in search engine ranking positions.
Over the web, users want to access information as quickly and smoothly as possible. As a result, it is crucial to match the performance of your website to the expectations of your visitors.
This article will uncover how you can install Cloudflare CDN which can benefit you in improving the loading performance of your WordPress website. Additionally, we’ll provide step-by-step instructions to install Cloudflare CDN.
What is Cloudflare CDN?
Cloudflare CDN is one of the most renowned CDN services today, with a network that spans over 200 cities. It delivers web content to websites depending on their geographic site.
It provides static, dynamic, and multimedia content and additional security, optimization, and SSL services. Cloudflare CDN-enabled websites reduce user latency by caching and delivering content from the closest server.
Look at the benefits that Cloudflare CDN offers.
Cloudflare CDN’s Key Benefits Include the Following
- Smart Routing
- Stream Delivery
- Load Balancing
- Accelerated Mobile Pages
Cloudflare CDN is a well-known content delivery network (CDN) operator with servers located across the world that distribute your website’s content to every corner of the globe. Cloudflare’s plans include a variety of features which are discussed below:
It is a unique method of routing data over the quickest network accessible, utilizing an algorithm that determines the optimal path based on real-time network knowledge.
Media streaming might be time-consuming to load when accessed from another part of the region. Cloudflare CDN addresses this issue by using a unique caching strategy that ensures immediate delivery of stream files.
Cloudflare’s load balancing service is available on a subscription starting at $5 per month. It is a DNS-based load balancing service that facilitates apps in optimizing their functionality and site availability.
Cloudflare for WordPress has a sophisticated caching system that stores static content automatically, does cache cleansing, and supports tiered caching.
As previously stated, a typical website uses both dynamic and static information. Using Cloudflare can save you money on CPU and bandwidth by using its servers for content. In addition, Cloudflare can help WordPress users have a better experience by reducing their time to get to the site.
We must sometimes integrate third-party solutions and APIs to accomplish certain tasks. These resources are not under our control and might create delays if not set appropriately.
Cloudflare is meant to optimize the order of page resources and to give a speedy web experience.
Large or unoptimized photos can unleash disaster on performance. Cloudflare’s Picture Optimization technology automatically optimizes web pages by reducing the number of network connections and streamlining image delivery.
In addition, it stops third-party resources from causing the web page to load slowly.
Accelerated Mobile Pages
Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) is a mechanism for speeding up the loading of web pages on mobile devices when accessed through Google’s mobile search engine. As a result, users are now more accessing the internet through their mobile devices.
Cloudflare CDN-accelerated mobile URLs are driven by AMP and load AMP-enabled web pages three times quicker than conventional mobile sites within the browsing window.
Cloudflare offers various services, including CDN, ad optimization, DDoS protection, and analytics. Additionally, they provide a free plan that you can try out before buying a premium subscription.
Install Cloudflare CDN on WordPress
It is easy to install Cloudflare CDN on your WordPress site. You can perform this action yourself.
If you face any difficulties during the installation process or want to customize your Cloudflare settings, you can find a Cloudflare expert at Toptal to provide professional assistance.
Through your hosting operator. For instance, Hostinger’s WordPress hosting options have an automated Cloudflare integration. It is ideal for website owners who want the whole package necessary to maintain a secure website without investing much time or effort.
If you want to install Cloudflare CDN on your own, you can get their free plan.
Additionally, premium subscriptions are available for individuals requiring increased security and functionality. They begin at $20 monthly and include web application firewall (WAF) rulesets, mobile optimization, and DDoS protection.
After selecting an appropriate plan, follow these steps to configure Cloudflare on your WordPress website.
1. Signing up for a Cloudflare Account
Signing up is simple and only takes a few minutes. First, ensure that you have your WordPress site’s URL prepared.
Now that you have a Cloudflare account, you must add your website to use the services.
2. Configuring Cloudflare with a Domain Name
To begin, go to your Cloudflare dashboard. Then, choose the Add Site option.
Enter your WordPress website’s URL. Cloudflare’s free edition enables users to add an unlimited number of websites.
At this point, choose your plan. We suggest the Free version if you’re setting up a blog or personal website. It includes the necessary fundamental features for safeguarding your website from online risks and optimizing its loading performance.
The Pro or Business plans provide the best performance for those who operate an online business or a high-traffic website. Cloudflare’s premium services offer automated website upgrades and enhanced security.
3. Verifying Your Domain Name’s DNS Records
After you’ve registered your WordPress site to Cloudflare, you’ll be required for the domain name’s DNS data. Cloudflare can be enabled or disabled for particular subdomains in this stage.
To activate, change the cloud icon’s color to orange.
We strongly recommend using Cloudflare for your bare domain name and www subdomain. Cloudflare will then function on both the www and non-www versions of your site.
Once finished, click Continue to go on to the next stage.
IMPORTANT: It is not suggested to use Cloudflare for cPanel, mail, FTP, or any other subdomains since this might cause many DNS difficulties.
4. Using Cloudflare’s Nameservers to Point Your Domain Name
The following screen will display the Cloudflare nameservers after enabling Cloudflare for your domain and subdomains. Cloudflare’s nameservers must be used instead of old nameservers.
1. Navigate to the Cloudflare nameservers through the dashboard’s DNS tab.
2. The Cloudflare nameservers allocated to your website will be shown under the DNS Management section. Take note of these values.
3. Navigate to your hosting control panel in a new browser tab. For Hostinger users, the nameserver information is located under the Domains tab.
4. Click Save after replacing both values in the Change nameservers section.
5. Return to the Cloudflare website and click the Done button.
6. Check Cloudflare’s DNS tab to verify that the nameserver upgrade was successful.
DNS propagation may take up to 72 hours on a global scale. Cloudflare will send you an email confirming the successful updating of your nameservers.
Alternatively, you can check the Cloudflare website for the latest update status. Your page will not be unavailable during this procedure.
5. Setup The HTTPS Settings
Through an SSL certificate, Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) protects website data. It is critical to specify this option to safeguard your WordPress site from data breaches and leaks.
HTTPS configuration requires simply two steps.
1. From your Cloudflare dashboard, go to the SSL tab. If you already have an SSL certificate, choose Full SSL; if not, select Flexible SSL.
Flexible SSL is intended to safeguard data exchanges between your WordPress site and Cloudflare. Meanwhile, Full SSL protects your site from the visitor’s browser to the visitor’s server.
2. Navigate to the Edge Certificates area and set Always Use HTTPS on position. It may take a few hours for the adjustments to take effect, so check back in a few hours. You’ll know the site is live when you see a confirmation message and a padlock symbol beside the URL.
Utilize the free SSL certificate if you have a hosting account with Hostinger. It is located in the CPanel’s Advanced section.
6. Cloudflare WordPress Plugin Installation and Configuration
To complete the procedure, we’ll install Cloudflare CDN from the WordPress plugin. This program is equipped with many useful features that can assist you in managing your CDN, including the following:
- WordPress optimization with a single click.
- Web application firewall (WAF) rulesets.
- Automatic cache cleaning.
- Pre-configured Cloudflare settings for simple customization.
The following is a detailed tutorial on how to install the Cloudflare WordPress plugin:
1. Navigate to Plugins -> Add New in your WordPress dashboard.
2. Search for Cloudflare’s WordPress plugin. Install and activate.
3. Select Cloudflare from the Settings page.
4. Select – You can get your API Key by clicking on the link below.
5. A new window will open in its place. Navigate to the API Tokens tab and click the View option next to the Global API Key.
6. Enter your Cloudflare password and then copy the API key that has been issued.
If you’ve already done this, go back to the plugin settings page and paste your API key into the login field. Then, save API Credentials by clicking the Save API Credentials button.
After you install Cloudflare CDN and log into the WordPress plugin, you’ll see several settings:
- WordPress settings improved. By clicking Apply Recommended Cloudflare Settings, you can adjust the caching and security levels, as well as the Auto Minify and IP geolocation settings. In addition, Cloudflare will automatically update your WordPress site settings to improve its speed.
- Platform Optimization on an Automatic Basis (APO). This Cloudflare plugin feature allows you to maintain backups of your website’s data to improve loading times. In addition, it enables customers to view your content instantaneously. Cloudflare’s edge network stores static and dynamic content through intelligent platform optimization.
- Delete Cache. Caching is the act of copying a website’s contents and storing them in a temporary storage location for immediate access. Cache purge refers to how Cloudflare deletes all previously stored data to copy new data.
- The Cloudflare plugin lets you control Cloudflare settings directly from your WordPress dashboard.
Cloudflare Adds Let’s Encrypt Certificates
You can use Let’s Encrypt to obtain an SSL certificate for your WordPress site with any reliable hosting provider. However, it is impossible to create one while Cloudflare is active on your domain. To activate the Let’s Encrypt certificate, do the following steps:
Step 1: Log into your Cloudflare dashboard and, under the DNS panel, change the proxy status to DNS only to deactivate both the www and yourdomain.com choices. A grey cloud indicates that the service is no longer available.
Step 2: Navigate to the SSL Certificate section of your Application Management Panel. Click Install Certificate after entering your Email Address > Domain Name.
Step 3: Go to your Server Management Panel > Settings and Packages > Advanced tab, and choose Cloudflare from the WAF Module drop-down list.
Step 4. Return to the Cloudflare dashboard and re-enable the deactivated option in step 1.
Step 5: Next, select the SSL/TLS tab at the top and toggle SSL to Flexible. Cloudflare may take up to 24 hours to issue the certificate. However, if you have already used the same domain, it will be enabled immediately.
That is it! After you install Cloudflare CDN on your WordPress site, you’re provided with many choices. Although most of the features are for premium plans, we encourage upgrading your plan and taking full benefit from them!
Install Cloudflare CDN on WordPress enhances the site experience and conserves important CPU and network resources on your remote server. It is a highly tuned CDN that can eliminate latency concerns and if you install Cloudflare CDN you can significantly increase the performance of your WordPress site.
Disclosure: We sometimes use affiliate links in our content. Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” It means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission. It helps our website keep running and allows us to offset the cost of our writing team. Thanks for your support.